Search This Blog

Monday 5 August 2013

MAMFAMA Show, Cambridge School of Art and Life Beyond MA Printmaking...

This stage last year I was having a panic about what I was going to be doing at this point this year. I clearly remember entering the Print Room and blurting out how scared I was and how was I ever going to get a job that was anything to do with, or even vaguely related to, the Arts?! I also clearly remember being told to shut up, and that I was ruining the ambiance of the Print Room, by our Technician, John. He told me to calm down and just concentrate on what I was doing and take one step at a time, otherwise I would end up messing everything up. This advice was firm but fair and some of the best advice I have ever been given.

It didn't feel like it at the time, but he was right. Now our final hand-in has passed, I have come out the other side of Cambridge School of Art with a Masters in Printmaking and am perched on the first stepping stone to the rest of my career: A job as an Art Technician. I'm not going to lie, I am absolutely elated, I though it would never happen.

Contrary to what some may think, this job did not come easily. Throughout my time at Anglia Ruskin University, I applied for many jobs in the arts, often spending days filling out difficult and monotonous application forms for anything vaguely related to the Arts. The majority of the jobs I applied for (actually, all of them) didn't even select me for interview. Some offered a healthy salary, others, minimum wage. I felt as though I was fighting a losing battle.

I think its extremely important to keep a positive attitude and not to let rejection defeat you or else you will never get anywhere. It's difficult, but, it's life. If you didn't get the job, it wasn't meant to be, keep your head up and most importantly, stay engaged. Go to every event you can, speak to the right people, volunteer, go on holiday; research doesn't have to be boring. Enjoy yourself. From past experiences, I have learned that if you're not having a good time, you're probably in the wrong field. But take what you can from the experience and use it to get to where you want to be.

Our final MA show is due to open at Cambridge School of Art, Anglia Ruskin University on 28th August until 12th September. 

The show will be open to the public from Monday to Friday between 10am and 4:30pm and is completely FREE! 

The Private View will take place on 5th September from 5-7pm so put it in your diary! Through this course I have learned so much and met some fantastic people, so come along and celebrate with us and grab yourself a glass of bubbly while you're at it! Oh, did I mention that the Master of Arts: Printmaking will be showing off a fabulous display of their artwork, in conjunction with the Masters of Fine Art class of 2013? I very much look forward to seeing you there!


1 comment:

  1. Well done Katy, I love your positive attitude. Lots of wonderful things to look forward to in the future. I think what you did at the Romsey Arts Festival was fabulous. See you at your exhibition!

    ReplyDelete